Describe a time when there was a miscommunication and explain how you handled it.

Prog Home v3 Forums CAMP SPT Describe a time when there was a miscommunication and explain how you handled it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Chrisdan CRowe
    Participant

I was working with other teams on a big project and through communication with them I realized that we were all given a different scope of the project and none of the deadlines were matching. Afterwards we set up a meeting with the respective managers and project manager to clarify the scope of work for each team and set the correct deadline for each part of the project. Luckily it was early enough in the project that the go live date remained unchanged.

Zach Downey
    Participant

I sat down with the user and got their perspective and then worked with them to be on the same page.

Nurina Fakhira
    Participant

Once, I remember a situation where miscommunication occurred during a group project in college. Our assignment was to prepare a presentation on a complex topic. Each member was assigned specific research tasks, and we were supposed to integrate our findings into a cohesive presentation. The miscommunication arose when one team member misunderstood their role. Instead of researching a particular aspect of the topic, they assumed they were responsible for creating the entire presentation slides. As a result, while the rest of us focused on gathering data and analysis, this individual spent their time designing slides. Instead of assigning blame, we focused on finding a solution. We reassigned tasks, ensuring everyone had a clear understanding of what was expected.

Robert Collins
    Participant

many times, gather folks into a room and work through the issues to an agreement.

Don Wall
    Participant

Asked for clarification. Kept talking until both parties understood each other.

Sara Adams
    Participant

N/A

Sherrin Richards
    Participant

During a meeting with a customer, both parties had attendees and speakers from vastly different time zones and with diverse, native, dominant languages. I could tell one party could not understand another party and I could sense frustration on both sides. I suggested we table the rest of the subjects for another meeting and summarized the call for both parties via email.

I spoke to my colleague and let her know that the customer had a challenging time comprehending. The customer had confirmed my suspicion after the call that he could not understand and follow the conversation.

At the next call, I reminded my team before the call to speak very slowly and I recorded and transcribed the call after no one objected. It was a much better call!

Robert Byrd
    Participant

Communicated the need to have CAPEX requirements submitted with associated OPEX. I had assumed all employees receiving the message understood how to apply the CAPEX to OPEX run rates. This created a higher-than-expected forecast for OPEX. I then held a meeting to go through several examples and explain how to properly apply CAPEX to OPEX budgets.

Bruno Crecca
    Participant

A wrong information was passed thourgh a leadership meeting and that information was passed to the customers, i had to explain the situation to the customer

Darnell Sadler
    Participant

Email exchanges. Tone can be misinterpreted by words chosen. Never presume tone.

Eddy Muleme
    Participant

For one of the critical replatforming projects I was part of, we communicated that testing was successful but had not covered the aspect of stress testing. During staging, we realized that the system was slow and needed to have it covered. We came clean, communicated the issue to the project manager and we had the testing team to work overtime so that we could close this gap. We successfully covered this aspect, and the project was a success having sorted issues related to slowness.

Alexia Elford
    Participant

miscommunicated, realized there was an issue, requested a meeting to reconnect and clarify, once consensuses was obtained moved forward with mutual understanding

Ann Martin
    Participant

There was a miscommunication as to what equipment was needed. To handle it, I referred to the request form with the information as to what was needed.

Jay Finucane
    Participant

we asked a member of a different team in the organisation to raise a ticket but they raised the wrong type of ticket, this was down to them being new and us not being aware that they hadn’t had training in raising these types of tickets. this was resolved by a ticket training session being sat with the staff member and the ticket being closed out and a new one correctly opened

James Lyons
    Participant

In today’s business world, much communication happens quickly via email and other means. Often the people engaged in discussion do not know one another and have different expectations on how a task or problem should be handled. This frequently includes a different understanding of what a final result should look like. In these cases, having a good understanding of goals and direction is helpful. Engaging in regular review meetings and working sessions helps to prevent large miscommunications as most misunderstandings can be realigned in a reasonable timeframe.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.