CAMSE: Certified Asset Management
Bridging the gap between IT Asset Management – ITAM and IT Security
The intent of security is to manage risks and the extent of the loss after an incident. This simplistic definition does not do justice to the enormous scope of organizational security and the complexity of the processes required. The investment in security processes, automation and professionals has been significant for most organizations and continues to consume budgets on an ongoing basis, from physical security to the myriad of types of information security. Yet, organizational security is routinely rated poorly, especially with the rapidly growing threats to information security. At the same time, the consequences from these failures escalate as laws are put in place to protect individual privacy, create reporting requirements and demand accurate inventory information on which to build security processes. The responsibility for securing the organization and its data is a priority for most organizations and should be part of every employee’s responsibility.
IAITAM is convinced that to have a successful IT security program, the organization must implement the function of ITAM.
The mission of IAITAM’s CAMSE course is to maximize the contribution of IT Asset Management professionals to the information security and physical security of the organization by bridging the gap between ITAM and IT security processes while incorporating security strategies throughout the ITAM policies, processes and procedures so that ITAM enhances the security program and improves the applicable governance.
WHERE TO START: LET CAMSE GUIDE YOU
This course exposes the attendee to new concepts as to how the ITAM program benefits and relates to security initiatives. IT asset lifecycle management is relevant for security initiatives as a critical IT base and provides the student with a means of working with and understanding the roles and responsibilities of those persons who will implement, manage and direct security initiatives for their organization.
The CAMSE course consists of the following components:
- CAMSE Course Manual
- CAMSE Course Presentation Slide Book
- CAMSE instructor daily presentation and interaction with attendees – administered in-person or online
- Optional CAMSE Comprehensive Online Examination necessary for achieving CAMSE Certification
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The CAMSE Course is designed for those individuals with an understanding of how the ITAM program is managed within an organization or for IT security professionals wishing to understand how ITAM empowers IT security. It is essential learning for IT Asset Managers and other professionals involved in Asset Management, strategic planning, security programs and those affected or influenced by ITAM and security initiatives.
Introduction to IAITAM
ITAM Code of Ethics
Description of a CAMSE
Overview of the ITAM Program
IAITAM Key Process Areas
Communication and Education
Policy and Procedures
-Request, Approval and Purchasing
-Receiving, Acceptance and Inventory
-Use and Inventory
Scope of Security and IT Asset Management
Communication and Education for Information Security
Policies for Information Security
ITAM Program Assessment for Security
General Security Program and Plan
Asset Identification Management and Inventory
Updating the ITAM Program Roadmap
Security Emphasis by ITAM Role
Evaluating the ITAM Contribution to Security
IT Security Role Topics of Conversation
Laws and Standards Governing Information Security
Questions and Review Before Exam
- Online certification testing is available for students starting the last day of class; from this point the exam will be open for 14 days. However, it is suggested to take the exam as soon as possible following the course.
- Testing requires non-interrupted internet connection and may be taken at any time during the open period; once a test is started, students are required to complete it during that session and are permitted up to 3 hours to complete.
- One hundred (100) questions are on the IAITAM CAMSE exam and a passing mark is achieved by attaining 85% or higher.
- Exam results are available immediately after completing the exam within the IAITAM Exam Center.
- One test retake is free of charge for those that fail to achieve pass status on the first attempt; retakes are available after a 24 hour window of the first attempt and must be completed during the 14 day open period. If the second attempt is unsuccessful, the exam may be repurchased at non-member pricing. No discounts apply.
- If a student is unable to complete the exam and retake (if needed) within their 14 day window, a one-time seven (7) day extension can be purchased for $50USD; this option must be completed before the initial 14 day window expires.
- If certification is not achieved or exam time frame lapses then students will have one year to purchase the exam again. After one year has expired, the course and the exam must be purchased and may be acquired at membership pricing.
- If the exam is not purchased prior to the beginning of the course, the student may purchase the exam at non-member pricing within 90 days of course completion.