CSAM: Certified Software Asset Manager
The registration fee is $2,000 and includes an electronic copy of the CSAM Manual, an electronic copy of the CSAM Presentation Slide Book, a live instructor, and the certification exam. Member pricing is available.
The IAITAM Certified Software Asset Manager (CSAM) Course is a foundational education program that ensures students are able to manage software assets. Students also learn about the ever-changing variables throughout our industry. From software piracy and compliance issues to legislation and organizational challenges, it is necessary to evaluate both the internal and external influences that bring about change in how organizations manage their IT assets. A successful Software Asset Manager must look at the overall goals of the organization and determine where Software Asset Management will be a strategic influence in achieving those goals.
During this course, students learn best practices in Software Asset Management, the “when” and “why” to question whether something should or shouldn’t be done, how to clearly identify goals and how to quantify success with metrics. Software Asset Management (SAM) is the set of business practices that support the use of software within an organization and frequently involves a new view on how and why software traverses throughout the organization. SAM is currently considered a necessary business function by many organizations who view Software Asset Managers as key contributors to their overall organizational success. Some of these goals include:
- Reducing Risk
- Increasing Accountability
- Uncovering Savings
- Gaining Control of the IT Environment
To be successful, Software Asset Managers need to learn what the Software Asset Management business best practices are and how to implement and leverage those best practices in a way that is tailored to their organization.
REAL WORLD ASSET MANAGEMENT
The CSAM Course represents the combined knowledge and understanding of the ever-changing software information, laws and regulations. This information is collected and focused into an education and training certification course that will equip students with the knowledge of new standards covering software applications as well as the severe penalties associated with not being aware or adhering to current and upcoming regulatory mandates.
Students will also learn the importance of Software Asset Management in the current, dynamic ITAM environment. It has never been more important that there is at least one individual within an organization whose focus and training is devoted and specialized in Software Asset Management. Organizations are able to actualize long term value and benefits that are derived from that specialization. Everything begins with the CSAM course and certification and is designed to provide a core function and foundation from which to build any ITAM program.
The CSAM Program is developed by professional Software and Hardware Asset Managers who codify a number of existing IAITAM professional development programs. The CSAM Certification as produced by IAITAM has evolved over the past 10 years to encompass the changes experienced within the profession as well as adding notable credibility to any organization’s IT Asset Management Program.
The CSAM Certification test is designed to guide individuals within the profession to gain awareness of existing software regulations, the importance of adhering to the regulations and how those regulations have an effect on every aspect of current and future business endeavors. Additionally, students learn the importance of a proactive stance when concerning software compliance as well as the steps necessary to achieve this end result.
Instruction is focused on Communication and Education, Policy, Procedures, Project Management, Software Assets and Compliance Management. The CSAM instruction and related materials will bring to light the importance of a well planned and executed Software Asset Management Program.
This interactive and instructor-led course is available through both online instruction as well as in-person in a traditional classroom setting. The goal is for ITAM professionals to review existing organizational infrastructure and effectively enhance any Software Asset Management Program thus creating a mature program that meets global expectations.
As with all IAITAM courses, CSAM conveys the same primary goal of educating IT Asset Management professionals in effective asset management, automation and centralization best practices. This equates to a higher Return on Investment (ROI), compliance risk mitigation and increased overall productivity.
WHERE TO START: LET CSAM GUIDE YOU
This course exposes students to numerous concepts within IT Asset Management that are relevant for both direct application and as a means of discussion for those who are implementing, management and direction ITAM initiatives within their organizations.
The CSAM course consists of the following components:
- CSAM Course Manual
- CSAM Course Presentation Slide Book
- CSAM instructor daily presentation and interaction with students – administered in-person or online
- CSAM Comprehensive Online Examination. This is necessary for achieving CSAM Certification
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The CSAM Course is designed for business professionals with minimal or entry-level experience in the field of Software Asset Management. It is essential information for beginning IT Asset Managers and other IT professionals involved in asset management, resource budgeting, finance, software licensing, contract management and strategic planning.
Topics Covered Include:
The Scope of Software
Strategic License Management
The Right to Audit
Proactive vs. Reactive SAM
Examples of License Data Documentation
Understanding the EULA
Due Diligence for Compliance
The Art of Negotiation
Ts & Cs Advice
Selecting a Discovery Tool
Hardware & Organizational Impacts
- Online certification testing is available for students starting at 8 AM the day after class finishes; from this point the exam will be open for 14 days. However, it is suggested to take the exam as soon as possible following the course.
- Testing requires non-interrupted internet connection and may be taken at any time during the open period; once a test is started, students are required to complete it during that session and are permitted up to 3 hours to complete.
- One hundred (100) questions are on the IAITAM CSAM exam and a passing mark is achieved by attaining 85% or higher.
- Exam results are available immediately after completing the exam within the IAITAM Exam Center.
- One test retake is free of charge for those that fail to achieve pass status on the first attempt; retakes are available after a 24 hour window of the first attempt and must be completed during the 14 day open period. If the second attempt is unsuccessful, the exam may be repurchased at non-member pricing. No discounts apply.
- If a student is unable to complete the exam and retake (if needed) within their 14 day window, a one-time seven (7) day extension can be purchased for $50USD; this option must be completed before the initial 14 day window expires.
- If certification is not achieved or exam time frame lapses then students will have one year to purchase the exam again. After one year has expired, the course must be purchased and may be acquired at membership pricing.