CHAMP: Certified Hardware Asset Management Professional
Designed to address the numerous issues plaguing professionals in managing hardware assets, the IAITAM Certified Hardware Asset Management Professional (“CHAMP”) Course follows the lifecycle of IT hardware assets beyond the scope of the cradle to grave analogy and discusses the business practices that can best be used to manage those assets efficiently and cost-effectively. Emphasis is placed on identifying the policies that enhance lifecycle management. In general, policies are only effective if developed by a cross-section of the impacted departments, are reviewed frequently to remain current and are consistently communicated and enforced.
SAVE MONEY BY TRACKING ASSETS
There are so many ways that Hardware Asset Management can benefit the organization. In today’s economy and the reduction of IT budgets, finding those savings are more important than ever. Organizations that had never heard of asset management are now educating their staffs and implementing the business practices in order to maximize every dollar spent. The best measure of success for the Hardware Asset Manager is capturing these savings and showing the percentage of total IT hardware budget that was freed up to fund other projects in the organization.
CREATING ORDER FROM IT LIFECYCLE MANAGEMENT CHAOS
Designed to address the numerous issues plaguing professionals in charge of Hardware Asset Management, IAITAM’s Certified Hardware Asset Management Professional (CHAMP) course follows the life-cycle of IT hardware assets and discusses the business practices that can be best implemented to manage these assets efficiently and cost effectively. Emphasis is placed on identifying the policies that enhance life cycle management.
Probably one of the least developed processes for asset management in the past, disposal management has received a great deal of attention in the last few years, thanks to online auction sites, the growth of a secondary usage market and the EPA’s activities that are drawing attention to the environmental issues. The process for disposal begins with the determination that an asset is no longer of use to the organization. Once this determination is made, there are a number of avenues to pursue and a number of pitfalls to avoid. As with any business issue, an analysis of the costs and benefits must be undertaken to determine the best choice for the corporation. It is recommended that the programs chosen for disposal be supported by policy due to the potential financial and public relations backlash from an environmental issue.
There are many ways that Hardware Asset Management can benefit an organization. With the volatility of today’s economy and the reduction of IT budgets, finding savings is more important than ever. Organizations that have never heard of IT Asset Management are now educating their staffs and implementing business practices in order to maximize every dollar spent.
WHERE TO START: LET CHAMP GUIDE YOU
This course exposes the attendee to numerous concepts for ITAM that are relevant for both direct application and as a means of discussion for those persons who will implement, manage and direct ITAM initiatives for their organizations.
The CHAMP course consists of the following components:
- CHAMP Course Manual
- CHAMP Study Guide
- CHAMP Course Presentation Slide Book
- CHAMP Instructor Daily Presentation and interaction with attendees – administered in-person or online
- Optional CHAMP Comprehensive Online Examination necessary for achieving CHAMP Certification
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The two-day CHAMP Course is designed for those individuals with minimal to no experience in the field of Hardware Asset Management. It is essential learning for beginning IT Asset Managers and other IT professionals involved in Asset Management, resource budgeting, finance, software licensing, contract management and strategic planning. Although there are no prerequisites, some knowledge of contracts and hardware life-cycle management is encouraged. The course is followed by a 1/2 day certification test for those that wish to certify.
Introduction to IAITAM
ITAM Code of Ethics
Communication and Education Management Overview
Policy Management in Hardware Asset Management
Core Processes for Effective Policy Management
Self-Assessment and Action Planning
Setting Up the Hardware Asset Management Program Hardware Asset Management Standards
Planning and Implementing Change
Procurement Through Acceptance Processes
Negotiations and Pricing Structures
Receiving – Centralization, Tagging Methodologies, Defective Equipment, Outsourcing
Managing The Life Of The Asset
Support Infrastructure – Policies, Developing Life Cycle Processes And Procedures
Working With The Help Desk – Tools, Life Cycle Deployment, IT Framework Implementations
Managing The Inventory
Discovery Tools – Technical Characteristics, Functionality
Ownership Repositories – Characteristics, Phased Implementation, Evaluation
Choosing The Right Level Of Detail
Distribute, Dispose or Redeployment
End Of Lease – Asset Tracking, Contractual Implications
DataCenter Power Consumption and Green Initiatives
Disposal Management – Legislation, Logistics, Data Removal, Documentation, Reuse,
Questions and Review Before Test
- Online certification testing is available for students starting the last day of class; from this point the exam will be open for 28 days however it is suggested to take the exam as soon as possible following the course.
- Testing requires non-interrupted internet connection and may be taken at any time during the open period; once a test is started, students are required to complete it during that session and are permitted up to 5 hours to complete.
- One hundred (100) questions are on the IAITAM CHAMP exam and a passing mark is achieved by attaining 85% or higher.
- One test retake is free of charge for those that fail to achieve pass status on the first attempt; retakes are available after a 48 hour window of the first attempt and must be completed during the 28 day open period.
- If a student is unable to complete the exam and retake (if needed) within their 28 day window, a one-time thirty (30) day extension can be purchased for $50USD; this option must be completed before the initial 28 day window expires.
- If the exam is not purchased with the course, the student may purchase the exam within 90 days of course completion.
- Exam results are available immediately after completing the exam within the IAITAM Exam Center.